Deadline: January 15th
Late Application Deadline: February 28th (Students must request permission from PhD Program Director before they can submit)
Summer Term: March 1st
Fall Term: July 1st
Spring Term: October 15th
Fall Term: March 1st
Final: July 1st
8 – 12 months prior to the deadline
- Research and compare our programs and concentrations to find the best fit for you. If you would like more information about our degree programs, fill out this form.
- Take a look at our faculty list and research areas to see what research projects align with your own interests, and which faculty members you can connect with.
- Review our admission requirements to ensure that you will meet the applicant criteria. Determine whether you need to take the GRE and/or TOEFL for your application and use this time to study and take practice tests.
4 – 6 months prior to the deadline
- Take the GRE and/or TOEFL. Have your test scores sent to the University of Florida at code 5812. It may take up to 6-8 weeks for official scores to be received by the University. Retake the GRE and/or TOEFL if necessary. Our minimum GRE score for PhD students is a 300, however, higher scores are more competitive – particularly for students for whom funding is needed.
3 months prior to the deadline
- Request your three Letters of Recommendation. At least two letters must exhibit research acumen. Remember, it is best to give your recommenders sufficient time to make sure that letters are submitted before the deadline.
2 months prior to the deadline
- Request all official transcripts to be sent to SOPHAS and to the University of Florida Graduate Admissions Office
- Begin your online application. Remember, the application is a two-step process requiring students to submit an application through SOPHAS and through the University of Florida Graduate Admissions Office.
- Once you have completed your application, please contact the department at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the degree program for which you applied to confirm that your complete application was received.
1 month prior to the deadline
- Ensure that all application materials including transcripts, GRE scores, and recommendation letters have been received and request any items that may be missing.
After your application has been completed
- Applicants will receive notification both by email and by formal letter.
- Once you have received your admission letter, you will need to sign and date the letter and return it to our department in order for your acceptance status to be confirmed.