If you are planning to travel on official University business, please complete the following items as soon as travel dates are known and at a minimum of 14 days prior to travel. Notify the Department before purchasing flight tickets, hotel stay, etc. Please notify the department even if travel plans are tentative.
Please note that for domestic travel, travelers are allowed to leave one day prior to events for which they are traveling, and return one day following. For international travel, this is extended to two days. Should a traveler wish to leave prior to this time or return later, this will be permitted however personal vacation time must be used and a flight comparison must show that it will not cost the University additional funds in order to change the travel dates. Should the ticket price be more expensive on the day in which the traveler would prefer to return, the traveler must pay the difference in cost out of pocket. Meals will also not be reimbursed for personal days taken.
For both Domestic and International Travel:
A Travel Authorization (TA) is required for each traveler when traveling on official University business. A Travel Authorization can be requested by providing Alise Cross with the following items completed:
- EGH Pre-Travel Approval Form
- Daily Itinerary (click for sample): Provide a brief itinerary including travel dates and times. If you are going to a conference where an itinerary is provided, please include it along with your other paperwork.
- Conflict of Interest form: Please complete this form if any portion of your trip is complimentary, or not being paid for through University funds, or if you are receiving payment of any kind such as travel expenses, honorarium, etc.
- Leave Application: If you are extending your travel to take personal time off, please also fill out a leave slip.
- Invitation Letter: If applicable, please send us a copy of any invitation letters received.
For International Travel:
- Copy of MEDEX Card: International travelers must register their travel with MEDEX and follow any procedures required by the UF International Center. Please provide us a copy or screenshot of your Medex card along with your other travel documents.
- International Travel Checklist
While You Travel
- Keep your receipts: Make sure to hold on to any receipts for which you would like to receive reimbursement. Similarly, obtain receipts for any refunds received that were previously purchased by the University of Florida.
- Only Buy Your Own Meals: Travelers will receive the per diem amount per meal. Each traveler should pay for their own meal. Meals purchased on behalf of another party may not be reimbursed.
After You Travel
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org confirming you have returned and attach all receipts from your travel, along with a summary with total of all expense requiring reimbursement.
- Wait for an email confirming your reimbursement total and details, before your reimbursement can be processed the attached form must be signed and returned.
Helpful Links and Resources
- UF Traveler’s Guide
- PHHP Policy on Authorized Absences
- International Per Diem rates by country
- Breakdown of meal rates for international per diem rates
- Currency Converter
- World Clock
Health & Safety
- UF SHCC Travel Clinic
- US Department of State Travel Information by Country
- US Department of State Current Travel Warnings
- CDC Traveler’s Health Guide
For questions regarding both domestic and international travel, please contact:
Office: HPNP Room 4160
Phone: (352) 273-9188
Fax: (352) 273-6070