Stephen M. Roberts, PhD
Office: CEHT-Building 471, Room 12
Phone: (352) 294-4514
Current Research Interests
- Mechanisms of drug and chemical toxicity
- Cell defense mechanisms against toxicity
- Toxicokinetics, particularly bioavailability of environmental contaminants
- Risk assessment
- Nanomaterial toxicity
- Novel gene therapy approaches for cancer
- B.S. Pharmacy (1968-1973), College of Pharmacy, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
- Ph.D. (1973-1977), Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
- NIH Post-doctoral Fellow (1977-1980), Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, State University of New York at Buffalo, Amherst, NY
- Director, Center for Environmental & Human Toxicology, (1995- present); Professor, (1999-present); Associate Professor (1993-1999); Assistant Professor (1990 – 1993) Department of Physiological Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine Department of Pharmacology & Therapeutics, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Assistant Professor of Toxicology (1986 – 1989) Department of Pharmacology and Interdisciplinary Toxicology College of Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR
- Assistant Professor of Pharmacology & Toxicology (1980 – 1986); Adjunct Asst. Prof. of Pharmacology & Toxicology (1986 – 1989) Division of Pharmacology & Medicinal Chemistry, College of Pharmacy; University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH
- Tolson JK, Roberts SM, Jortner B, Pomeroy M, and Barber DS: Heat shock proteins and acquired resistance to uranium nephrotoxicity. Toxicology 206:59-73, 2005.
- Sobel ES, Gianini J, Butfiloski EJ, Croker BP, Schiffenbauer J, and Roberts SM: Acceleration of autoimmunity by organochlorine pesticides in (NZBxNZW)F1 mice. Environ. Health Perspect. 113:323-328, 2005.
- Vilaboa N, Fenna M, Munson J, Roberts SM, and Voellmy R: Novel gene switches for targeted and timed expression of therapeutic proteins. Mol. Ther. 12:290-298, 2005.
- Sobel ES, Wang F, Butfiloski E, Croker B, and Roberts SM: Comparison of chlordecone effects on autoimmunity in (NZBxNZW)F1 and BALB/c mice. Toxicology 218:81-89, 2006.
- Tolson JK, Dix DJ, Voellmy RW, and Roberts SM: Increased hepatotoxicity of acetaminophen in Hsp70i knockout mice. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 210:157-162, 2006.
- Powers KW, Brown SC, Krishna VB, Wasdo SC, Moudgil BM, and Roberts SM: Research strategies for safety evaluation of nanomaterials, Part VI: Characterization of nanoscale particles for toxicological evaluation. Tox. Sci. 90:296-303, 2006.
- Portier K, Tolson JK, and Roberts SM: Body weight distributions for risk assessment. Risk Anal. 27:11-26, 2007.
- Roberts SM, Munson JW, Lowney YW, and Ruby MV: Relative oral bioavailability of arsenic from contaminated soils measured in the cynomolgus monkey. Tox. Sci. 95:281-288, 2007.
- Powers KW, Palazuelos M, Moudgil BM, and Roberts SM: Characterization of the size, shape, and state of dispersion of nanoparticles for toxicological studies. Nanotoxicology 1:42-51, 2007.
- Wang F, Roberts SM, Butfiloski EJ, Morel L, and Sobel ES: Acceleration of autoimmunity by organochlorine pesticides: A comparison of splenic B cell effects of chlordecone and estradiol in (NZBxNZW)F1 mice. Tox. Sci.99:141-152, 2007.
- Wang F, Roberts SM, Butfiloski EJ, and Sobel ES: Diminished prolactin from chlordecone treatment in ovariectomized (NZB x NZW)F1 mice. Int. Immunopharmacol. 7:1808-1812, 2007.
- Jimenez JJ, Roberts SM, Mejia J, Mauro LM, Munson JW, Elgart GW, Connelly EA, Chen Qu, Zou J, Goldenberg C, and Voellmy R: Prevention of chemotherapy-induced alopecia in rodent models. Cell Stress Chap. 13:31-38, 2008
- Wasdo SC, Barber DS, Denslow ND, Powers KW, Palazuelos M, Stevens SM, Moudgil B, Roberts SM: Differential binding of serum proteins to nanoparticles. Int. J. Nanotechnol. 5:92-115, 2008.