Richard Rheingans, PhD
Current Research Interests
- Effectiveness, sustainability and scaleability of school-based water and sanitation interventions
- Determinants of disparities in water quality and sanitation in peri-urban areas
- Impact and cost-effectiveness of diarrheal control strategies in low-income countries
- Impact of water and sanitation on psycho-social stress
- Equity and distributional effects of vaccination in low-income countries
- Temporal patterns in vaccination disparities in low- to middle-income countries
- Doctor of Forestry and Environmental Studies, Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, September 1992 – May 1996
- Master of Arts in International Relations, Yale University, September 1990 – May 1992
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, Yale University, September 1983 – May 1987
2008 – present: Visiting Researcher, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK.
2010 – present: Research Manager, SHARE Research Consortium, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK.
2007 – present: Associate Professor, Hubert Department of Global Health, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA.
2000 – 2007: Research Assistant Professor, Hubert Department of Global Health, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA.
2001- present: Director, Global Environmental Health Program, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA.
2004 – 2005: Acting Director, Center for Global Safe Water, School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA.
2003 – present: Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Environmental Studies, Emory University, Atlanta, GA.
1998 – 2000: Health Economist, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Atlanta, GA.
1996 – 1998: Post-doctoral Fellow in Prevention Effectiveness, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention / Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Atlanta, GA.
- Rheingans R , Kukla M , Faruque A, Sur D, Zaidi A, Nasrin D, Farag TH, Levine MM, Kotloff KL. Determinants of Household Costs Associated With Childhood Diarrhea in 3 South Asian Settings. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2012 55: S327-S335.
- Rheingans R, Kukla M , Adegbola RA, Saha D, Omore R, Breiman RF, Sow SO, Onwuchekwa U, Nasrin D, Farag TH, Kotloff KL, Levine MM. Exploring Household Economic Impacts of Childhood Diarrheal Illnesses in 3 African Settings. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2012 55: S317-S326.
- Greene, LE, Freeman MC, Akoko D, Saboori S, Moe C, Rheingans R. Impact of a School-Based Hygiene Promotion and Sanitation Intervention on Pupil Hand Contamination in Western Kenya: A Cluster Randomized Trial. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2012 87:385–393
- Stevenson EGJ, Greene LE, Maes KC, Ambelu A, Tesfaye YA, Rheingans R, Hadley C. Water insecurity in 3 dimensions: An anthropological perspective on water and women’s psychosocial distress in Ethiopia. 2012. Social Science & Medicine 75(2012) 392-400
- Rheingans R, Atherly D, Anderson J. 2012. Distributional impact of rotavirus vaccination in 25 GAVI countries: Estimating disparities in benefits and cost-effectiveness. Vaccine. 305: A15-23.
- Atherly DE, Lewis K, Tate J, Parashar U, Rheingans RD. 2012. Projected health and economic impact of rotavirus vaccination in GAVI-eligible countries: 2011-2030. Vaccine. 305: A7-14.
- Freeman MC, Greene LE, Dreibelbis R, Saboori S, Muga R, Brumback B, and Rheingans R. 2012. Assessing the impact of a school-based water treatment, hygiene and sanitation programme on pupil absence in Nyanza Province, Kenya: a cluster-randomized trial. Tropical Medicine and International Health. 17(3): 380-391.
- Rheingans RD, Antil L, Dreibelbis R, Podewils LJ, Bresee JS, and Parashar UD. 2009. Economic Costs of Rotavirus Gastroenteritis and Cost-Effectiveness of Vaccination in Developing Countries. Journal of Infectious Diseases;200: S16–S27
- Atherly D, Dreibelbis R, Parashar UD, Levin C, Wecker J, and Rheingans RD. 2009. Rotavirus Vaccination: Cost-Effectiveness and Impact on Child Mortality in Developing Countries. Journal of Infectious Diseases; 200: S28–S38
- Freeman MC, Quick R, Abbott D, Ogutu P, Rheingans RD. 2009. Increasing equity of access to point-of-use water treatment products through social marketing and entrepreneurship: A case study in Western Kenya. Journal of Water and Health.
- Rheingans RD, Constenla D, Antil L, Innis BL, Breuer T. 2007. Economic and Health Burden of Rotavirus Gastroenteritis in Latin America. J Pan Am Health Org, 21(4): 192-204.
- Rheingans RD, Constenla D, Antil L, Innis BL, Breuer T. 2007. Cost-effectiveness of Vaccination for Rotavirus Gastroenteritis in Latin America. J Pan Am Health Org, 21(4): 205-16.
- Rheingans R. 2006. Economic evaluation of rotavirus vaccination in Europe: What makes sense? Journal of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, 25(1S): S48-S55.
- Rheingans R, Dreibelbis R, Freeman M. 2006. Beyond the Millennium Development Goals: Public Health Challenges in Water and Sanitation. Global Public Health, 1(1): 31-48.