Gary Heil, PhD
Research Assistant Professor
Office: EPI Room 475
Current Research Interests
- Epidemiological surveillance and the development of new serological and molecular methodologies for characterization, serological surveillance, detection and typing of respiratory viruses.
- Influenza A virus evolution and ecology
- Pathogenesis and virulence factors in influenza A
- Bachelor of Arts, Microbiology, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, 1993
- Master of Arts, Microbiology, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, 1995
- Ph.D., Microbiology, The University of Iowa, 2002
Teaching Assistant, Department of Microbiology, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, August 1993 to August 1995
Graduate Assistant, Department of Microbiology, The University of Iowa, August 1995 to July 2002
Postdoctoral Research Scholar, Department of Biochemistry, The University of Iowa, August 2002 to February, 2005, under Professor Andrew D. Robertson.
Postdoctoral Research Scholar, Carver College of Medicine Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Facility, The University of Iowa, March 2005 to June 2005, under Dr. William R. Kearney, Facility Director.
Postdoctoral Scholar, Department Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Ben May Cancer Research Institute, The University of Chicago, under Drs. Shohei Koide and Marsha R. Rosner, July 2005 to August 2006.
Research Assistant II, Department of Epidemiology, Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases, The University of Iowa, December 2006 – December 2009.
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Epidemiology, The University of Iowa, November 2007 – present.
Senior Biological Scientist Department of Environmental and Global Health The University of Florida, December 2009 – present.
- Anne Shemon, Gary L. Heil, Alexey Granovsky, Mathew Clark, Dan McElheny, Alexander Chimon, Marsha Rich Rosner and Shohei Koide (2010) Characterization of the Raf Kinase Inhibitory Protein (RKIP) Binding Pocket: NMR-based Screening Identifies Small-molecule Ligands. Submitted: PLoSONE.
- Mark G. Lebeck, Troy A. McCarthy, Ana W. Capuano, David P. Schnurr, Marie L. Landry, Sharon F. Setterquist, Gary L. Heil, Selim Kilic, and Gregory C. Gray (2009) Emergent US Adenovirus 3 Strains Associated with an Epidemic and Serious Disease. Journal of Clinical Virology 46, 331-336.
- Alexey E. Granovsky, Matthew C. Clark, Dan McElheny, Gary L. Heil, Jia Hong, Youngchang Kim, Grazyna Joachimiak, Andrzej Joachimiak, Shohei Koide and Marsha Rich Rosner (2009) Raf Kinase Inhibitory Protein Function Is Regulated via a Flexible Pocket and Novel Phosphorylation-Dependent Mechanism Molecular and Cellular Biology. 29, 1306-1320.
- Gary L. Heil, Sharon F. Setterquist and Gregory C. Gray (2007) Is Influenza A Rendered Non-viable Following treatment with RNA Isolation Kit Lysis/Binding Buffers. Options VI proceedings.
- Gary L. Heil, Lorraine T. Stauffer & George V. Stauffer (2002) Glycine binds the transcriptional accessory protein GcvR to disrupt a GcvA/GcvR interaction and allow GcvA mediated activation of the Escherichia coli gcvTHP operon. Microbiology 148, 2203-2214.
- Angela C. Ghrist, Gary L. Heil, & George V. Stauffer (2001) GcvR interacts with GcvA to inhibit activation of the Escherichia coli glycine cleavage operon. Microbiology 147, 2215-2221.