E. Paul Gibbs, BVSc, PhD, FRCVS
Office: College of Veterinary Medicine
Phone: (352) 294-4182
- Epidemiology and control of emerging viral diseases and their relationship to human and wildlife populations
- BVSc.1967, University of Bristol, School of Veterinary Science
- Ph.D.1970, University of Bristol, School of Veterinary Science
- Fellowship by Examination 1976, Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
a) Wooldridge Memorial Lecture, British Veterinary Association on Emerging Zoonoses
b) Steering Committee MSc International Animal Health University of Edinburgh
c) Advisor to Chief Scientist, Department of the Environment, Food, and Rural Affairs, UK Government
d) Joint Appointment College of Public Health and Health Professionals, University of Florida
e) International Educator of the Year at CVM, UF and Norden Distinguished Teacher
f) Chair, Foreign and Emerging Diseases Committee of the US Animal Health Association.
2008 to present:Chair Foreign and Emerging Diseases Committee of the US Animal Health Association
1981 to present: Professor of Virology, Department of Infectious Diseases and Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida.
1967 to 1970: University of Bristol. Registered as Ph.D. student with lecture duties in veterinary medicine, meat inspection and public health.
1999 to 2001: President Society for Tropical Veterinary Medicine
1994 to 1999: Director of International Center for the University of Florida (Chief International Officer of the University)
1985-1994: Chief of Microbiology and Parasitology, Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, College of Veterinary Medicine
1979 to 1981: Associate Professor of Virology, Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida.
1974: Sabbatical with Centers for Disease Control, (Arbovirus studies), Fort Collins, Colorado
1970 to 1979: The Animal Virus Research Institute, Pirbright. Initially as Veterinary Research Officer with promotion in 1972 to Senior Veterinary Research Officer, and in 1977 to Principal Veterinary Research Officer.
- Murphy, F.A., Gibbs, E.P.J., Horzinek, M., and Studdert, M.J. “Veterinary Virology.” 3rd Edition, 1999. Academic Press, Orlando.
- “The domestic animal/wildlife interface: issues for disease control, conservation, sustainable food production and emerging diseases”. Eds Gibbs, E.P.J. and Bokma, B.H. Vol 969. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, New York, 2003
- Thurmond, M.C., Gibbs, E.P.J., Brown, C.C., Wagner, G.C. , Wilson, T.M., and Lautner, E. (2003) Educational preparedness of veterinarians for foreign animal diseases. J Am. Vet. Med. Ass 222, 1352-1357.
- Gibbs, E.P.J. (2003) The foot-and-mouth disease epidemic of 2001 in the UK: implications for the USA and the “war on terror”. J Vet. Med. Educ. 30, 121-132
- Crawford P.C., Dubovi E.J., Castleman W.L., Stephenson I., Gibbs E.P., Chen L, Smith C, Hill R.C., Ferro P, Pompey J, Bright R.A., Medina M.J., Johnson C.M., Olsen C.W., Cox N.J., Klimov A.I., Katz J.M., Donis R.O. (2005) Transmission of equine influenza virus to dogs. Science. 310, 482-5
- Gibbs, E.P.J. (2005) Emerging zoonotic epidemics in the interconnected global community. Vet Rec. 157, 673-9.
- Gibbs, E.P.J. (2005) Chapters in Merck Veterinary Manual 9th Edition on:, Swinepox, Cowpox, Sheep and Goat Pox, Pseudocowpox, Lumpyskin Disease. pp 693-698
- Gibbs, E.P.J. (2005) Bovine herpes virus 2 infections. Infectious Diseases of Livestock with Special Reference to South Africa. Eds J A W Coetzer and R C Tustin , Oxford University Press. Vol 2 pp 887-894
- Gibbs, E.P.J. (2005) Equine encephalitides caused by Alphaviruses. Infectious Diseases of Livestock with Special Reference to South Africa. Eds J A W Coetzer and R C Tustin, Oxford University Press Vol 2 pp 1014- 1022
- Gibbs, E.P.J. and Long, M. (2006) Equine Alphaviruses. In Infectious Diseases of Horses. Eds Sellon, D. and Long, M. Elsevier Press Ch 20, pp 191-197.