Carina Blackmore, MS Vet. Med., PhD
Office: Florida Department of Health
4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin A 08
Tallahassee, FL 32399
Phone: (850) 245-4732
American Veterinary Epidemiology Society
University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine
Councils and Committees
- NASPHV, President, 2010, 2012
- ASTHO representative to The One Health Joint Steering Committee, Communications Workgroup Chair 2008-2009
- American Veterinary Medical Association’s One Health Initiative Taskforce 2008
- State Public Health Vector Control Conference 2003-present
- Florida Coordinating Council on Mosquito Control 2003-present
- Co-chair of the National Association of State Public Health Veterinarian’s Animal Contact Compendium Committee 2005-present
- CSTE representative on the ASTHO Mosquito Control Collaborative 2005, 2008
- NASPHV representative on the National Interagency Highly Pathogenic H5N1 Wild Bird Avian Influenza Early Detection Working Group 2007.
- NASPHV Avian Influenza Subcommittee Chair 2007-present
- NASPHV Biosense Subcommittee Chair 2007-present
- NASPHV representative to the AVMA Council for Public Health and Regulatory Medicine 2009
- NASPHV representative to the AVMA Council on Food Safety 2009
Current Research Interests
- Epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnostics and prevention of viral and other infectious and non-infectious diseases.
- Chemistry 1983-84, 40p (40 weeks of full time studies), Gothenburg University, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Master of Science in Veterinary Medicine 1989. Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden. (Equivalent of an American DVM degree)
- Doctor of Philosophy 1996. University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana.
- Chief, Bureau of Environmental Public Health Medicine, Division of Environmental Health, Florida Department of Health
2003-2008 Environmental Epidemiology Program Manager, Division of Environmental Health, Florida Department of Health
1998-2003 Regional Epidemiologist, Bureau of Epidemiology, Florida Department of Health.
1996-1998 Assistant Professor in Biology, Valdosta State University, Valdosta, GA.
05/1996-09/1996 Post-Doctoral Research Associate, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame IN
06/1991-08/1991 Small Animal Veterinarian Karlstad Djursjukhus, Karlstad, Sweden (06/91-08/91)
1989-1991 Relief Large Animal and Slaughterhouse Veterinarian Jordbruksverket, Jönköping, Sweden
- Weis, KE, Hammond, RM Hutchinson, R, Blackmore CGM. 2010. Reported cases of Vibrio illness in Florida, 1998-2007. Epidemiology and Infection. Accepted for publication.
- Stern EJ, Galloway R, Shadomy SV, Wannermuehler K, Atrubin D, Blackmore C et al. 2010. Outbreak of leptospirosis among adventure rave participants in Florida, 2005. CID 50:843-849.
- Blackmore C, Rabinowitz PM, 2009. Influenza in Human-Animal Medicine: Clinical Approaches to zoonoses, toxicants and other shared health risks. Elsevier Publishing Company. Rabinowitz P and Conti L. (eds).
- Blackmore C, 2009. West Nile virus in Human-Animal Medicine: Clinical Approaches to zoonoses, toxicants and other shared health risks. Elsevier Publishing Company. Rabinowitz P and Conti L. (eds).
- King LJ, Andersson LR, Blackmore CG et al. 2008. Executive summary of the AVMA One Health Initiative Task Force report. JAVMA 233(2) 259-261.
- Yabsley MJ, Murphy SM, Luttrell MP, Little SE, Massung RF, Stallknecht DE, Conti LA, Blackmore CG, Durden LA. 2008. Experimental and field studies on the suitability of raccoons (Procyon lotor) as hosts for tick-borne pathogens. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 8(4):491-503.
- Duprey Z., Rivers, S., Luber G, Becker A, Blackmore C, Barr D, Weerasekera G, Kieszak S, Flanders, W.D., Rubin C. 2008. Community Aerial Mosquito-Control and Naled Exposure. JAMCA. 24(1) 42-46.
- Blackmore C.G.M., Grimstad P.R.. 2008. Could Sylvilagus floridanus (the eastern cottontail rabbit) serve as an amplifying host for Cache Valley virus? J. Wildlife Dis. 44(1) 188-192.
- Harduar-Morano L, Price J, Parker D, Blackmore C. 2008. PACE EH Post Project Assessment of Quality of Life Changes in a Florida Community Related to Infrastructure Improvements. JEH. 70:40-47.
- Kay R.S., Vandevelde A.G., Fiorella P.D., Crouse R., Blackmore C, Sanderson R., Bailey C.L., Sands M.L. 2007. Outbreak of healthcare-associated infection and colonization with multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Senftenberg in Florida. Infect. Control Hosp. Epidemiol. 28(7):805-11.
- Van Sickle D. Chertow DS, Schulte JM, Ferdinands JM, Patel PS, Johnson DR, Harduar-Morano L, Blackmore C, Ourso AC, Cruse KM, Dunn KH and RL Moolenaar. 2007. Carbon monoxide poisoning in Florida during the 2004 hurricane season. Am J Prev Med 2007; 32(4) 340-346.