The Department of Environmental and Global Health (EGH) offers a Masters of Public Health, Environmental Health Concentration, and a Masters of Health Sciences degree in One Health. These programs bridge public, veterinary, and environmental health disciplines to tackle challenging real world health issues. Curricula are geared to provide supporting competencies for professional training (e.g., MD, PhD, or DVM) or advanced capacity toward specialized work opportunities. Internship opportunities are available through Florida Department of Health, Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Department of Environmental Protection, Agricultural Research Service, CDC, US EPA and others. Faculty and student research is conducted regionally in the southeastern US and along the Gulf coast, as well as nationally, and in Haiti, China, Colombia, Bangladesh, and Cameroon, among others.
Masters of Health Science – One Health Core Competencies
- Students will apply problem-solving skills analyzing and synthesizing content knowledge in One Health concept.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of how one health is used to tackle complex public health problems
- Gain training to prepare students for employment in industry, federal, academic and policy agencies
- Display ethical behaviors, cultural sensitivity, teamwork, professional conduct, and appropriate communication
Masters of Public Health – Environmental Health Core Competencies
- Describe to specific communities or general populations the direct and indirect human and ecological effects of major environmental agents.
- Describe genetic, physiological and psycho-social factors that affect susceptibility to adverse health outcomes following exposure to environmental hazards.
- Explain the health effects and general mechanisms of toxicity in eliciting a toxic response to exposure to various environmental toxicants.
- Specify approaches for assessing, preventing, and controlling environmental hazards that pose risks to human health and the environment.
- Develop a testable model of an environmental insult or design a way to evaluate an environmental insult.